1973 - when I started asking questions, like, "Why are we all dressed so funny?"

Friday, April 24, 2020

Jay Gatsby in the Big City

I found that "Life in the Big City" by Cracker complements nicely Chapter IV of The Great Gatsby. Fitzgerald shows the reader two contradictory sides of Jay Gatsby: the hero and the hoodlum; the (faux) blue-blood and the (menacing) thug. This song by Cracker brings out wincingly the temptations and dangers of wealth and power.

I. Song: Cracker, “Life in the Big City” (Berkeley to Bakersfield, 2014).
Life in the big city. Let's get dirty now.Life in the big city…
I've got billions, I've got minions,Dance for me, politicians!I've got jet planes, my own doctors,Secret bank accounts in Switzerland.I've got Russians in the corner Taking care of my worst problems.I've got women, yeah. Dominatrix, But see you in the churchyard Sunday.
Life in the big city, let's get dirty now.Life in the big city, wooh! Let's get dirty now.Life in the big city, wooh! Let's get dirty.
I've got mansions in the Hamptons,I've got a high-rise in mid-town Manhattan,I've got tax breaks in San Francisco,For the link back into the Mayor's pack.I've got think tanks and academics Telling you what's good for me is good for you
I feel better when we get dirty.
See you in the church on Sunday.
That's life in the big city, girl; what did you expect?That's life in the big city, girl; ain't no Boy Scouts here.That's life in the (that's life in the) big city girl (big city girl),It ain't prettyThat's life in the (that's life in the) big city girl (big city girl),Ah come on come on come on come onCome on come on come on come on
Life in the big city, let's get dirty now.Life in the big city, wooh! Let's get dirty now.Life in the big city, wooh! Let's get dirty now.Life in the big city, wooh! Let's get dirty now.
Songwriters: Michael Urbano / David Lowery / Johnny Hickman / Davey Faragher. Life in the Big City lyrics © Sony Music Publishing.

II. Some Questions to Consider.

1. What similarities do you see between Jay Gatsby and the character described in the song?

2. How are the lifestyles between the singer and Gatsby different?

3. How does the song illustrate the singer’s internal contradictions?

4. How do these contradictions compare with Jay Gatsby in Chapter 4?

No comments: